Effective Date: September 12, 2017
The words “TALB” and “we” or “us” refer to Teachers Association of Long Beach or its subsidiary or affiliate that maintains the relevant website, and the term “you” refers both to you in your individual capacity and, if applicable, to your employer or institution if you are accessing our websites in your capacity as an employee, agent or other representative of such an entity.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our websites or give us in any other way, including when completing a “contact us” form, clicking to send an email to us or establishing or updating your profile in a news subscription account. This may include your name and job title, your employer name or other affiliation, contact and shipping information including email address, credit card or other payment card information.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we may use “cookies,” and we may obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses our websites, including the following: the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information such as browser type, version, and time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, and platform; purchase history, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers. We may also collect technical information to help us identify your device for fraud prevention and diagnostic purposes. Our websites may also incorporate third-party analytical tools to help us monitor performance and usage patterns, for example Google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics/)
What we do with the information we gather
We collect this information to understand your needs and improve our services, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal recordkeeping
- To improve our products and services
- To send you email about TALB activities, special offers or other information that we think you may find interesting
- From time to time, we may to contact you by email, phone, fax or mail for market research purposes.
- We may share your information with certain of our affiliated companies.
- We may provide your contact information to shipping companies or the post office to ship your orders.
- We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties that we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
- We will never sell your information.
Information you share
Links to other websites
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our websites in order to tailor them to customer needs and to help us keep track of how and when we interact with our customers and potential customers. In addition, we use Google Analytics to analyze web traffic, but we do not authorize Google to share in any information about you with any third parties.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of our websites.
Information Access, Updates and Choice
You may choose to provide information to us by completing a registration form, sending us an email or otherwise contacting us. In the registration form, you may have an opportunity to elect to receive certain communications from us. Our email correspondence will include instructions on how to update certain personal information and how to unsubscribe from our emails and postal mail correspondence. Please follow the instructions in the emails to notify us of changes to your name, email address and preference information. When we think appropriate, we may take additional steps, such as confirmation emails, to verify your identity before granting access to your personal information. If you choose to unsubscribe from our email and/or postal mail services, you will no longer receive this correspondence. However, we may retain your information for a period of time to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems or for other valid business or legal reasons.
Our websites are directed toward adults. If you are under the age of 13, you must obtain the authorization of a responsible adult (parent, legal custodian, or teacher) before accessing our websites. We do not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children under age of 13, and if we become aware that we have collected such information we will delete it.
The use of our websites is governed by the laws of the state of California and the United States. If you are accessing our websites from any location with regulations or laws governing personal data collection, use or disclosure that differ from those of the United States and California State, then through your continued use you are transferring personal information to the United States and you consent to that transfer and to the collection and processing of such information in the United States. You also consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of any disputes arising in connection with our websites in the federal and state courts located in Los Angeles County, California. You also agree to attempt to first mediate any such disputes in good faith.