Bargaining Update: Tuesday January 18
Today the negotiating teams met. Summary –
Article II – Recognition of Exclusive Representation
Adding – School & Guidance Counselors & Psychologists
Excluding – Head Counselors & Lead Psychologists
Article IV – Association Rights
Use of cell phones for business & personal use.
Article V – Days And Hours of Employment
The District presented concepts for a full day Kindergarten. The proposals are predicated by the California Department of Education – Ed Code – 8281.5 (B) Develop a plan for consideration by the governing board or body at a public meeting on or before June 30, 2022, for how all children in the attendance area of the local educational agency will have access to full-day learning programs the year before kindergarten that meet the needs of parents, including through partnerships with the local educational agency’s expanding learning offerings, the After School Education and Safety Program, the California state preschool program, Head Start programs, and other community-based early learning and care programs.
In short, the legislature has provided resources to school districts to implement “Universal Transitional Kindergarten” [“Kindergarten” includes Transitional Kindergarten, as defined in Education Code 48000 Section (d) For purposes of this section, “transitional kindergarten” means the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. (e) A transitional kindergarten shall not be construed as a new program or higher level of service.
The District is currently piloting full-day Kindergarten at some sites for the 2021-22 school year. The TALB bargaining team made an information request for all of the participants in this year’s pilot and all the potentially impacted Kindergarten teachers. Once this data is secured we will hold Zoom forums to flesh out the plus / delta of the current program and how to implement a global program for the entire District.
Deja vu? Yes, back on January 15, 2020 a forum has held at Longfellow ES to discuss the implementation of a District wide full-day Kindergarten. At that time, legislation had not mandated school districts provide access. Next school year, 2022-23 that will be different.
- Acknowledging adjunct duties of TALB Representative, reduce overall hours of adjunct duties.
- Replacement Service – include elementary teachers in remuneration.
- Mileage – update language to reflect itinerate travel.
- Adjust the amounts for valuables or vehicle damage while on duty.
- Providing enhanced safety for staff.
- Investing in more nursing services for sites.
- Compensation for combination classes.
- Limit number of preparation periods.
- Multi-site limits for itinerants.
- Parameters for Block Schedule vs. Traditional 6 period day.
- Providing clarity surrounding the 5 year alternate evaluation cycle.
- Moving to all electronic evaluations.
- The District & TALB will discuss compensation, for the 2021-22 school year, at the next negotiations meeting, Friday, February 4, 2022.
- Adjust Pathway Leads – compensation.